Affording a PNA Education
A PNA education is a significant and valuable investment in your child's future. We believe that economic diversity enriches our community, enhances the educational and social experience for both children and adults, and is critical to creating a healthy and vibrant school culture. Among our families are those who can afford tuition at the top of the index and whose philanthropic generosity provides a vital component of annual operating expenses. There are also families who manage to pay tuition at the highest level only by making substantial sacrifice, those who are able to afford only minimal tuition, and those across the spectrum in between.
Understanding that each family's financial circumstances are unique, PNA's indexed tuition program for grades K-8 allows us to charge tuition based on each family’s ability to pay. Indexed Tuition supports our mission to build community and to foster a learning environment that includes a diversity of cultures, viewpoints and experiences. Its key purpose is to help families to bridge the economic gap between the cost of tuition and what you can afford.
A non-refundable deposit of $1,800 of tuition is due at the time of enrollment/re-enrollment to hold your student’s place in the class. This deposit will be applied toward the student’s tuition according to the payment plan chosen.
2017-2018 School Year
Beginners & Early Kindergarten
For children who turn 3 (Beginners) and 4 (Early Kindergarten) by September 1st of the academic year of enrollment.
Field Trip Fees
Included in Tuition
Kindergarten - 4th Grade
For children who turn 5 by September 1st of the academic year of enrollment.
$4,617 to $18,468*
$100 - $300
5th Grade - 8th Grade
$4,617 to $18,468*
$1,500 - $3,500
*Tuition range is based on individual affordability as determined by the Indexed Tuition application.
**For various field trips throughout the year, not including Spring Trips.
*** Each spring 1st-8th Grades travel to various destinations in Alaska and beyond. Costs are in addition to tuition and Field Trip Fees.
Tuition may be paid in one-, two-, and ten-payment plans, beginning July 1st of each year. Tuition for children enrolling during the school year will be prorated for days attending, and ten payment plans will adjusted to end on April 1st, regardless of start month. Ten-payment plans are subject to a $35 per month extended payment fee.
Extended Day Program:
Before-school and after-school care (EDP) and enrichment programs are available for the students of PNA. Rates for EDP for 2017-2018 school year are as follows. Enrichment class prices vary.
Unlimited for the school year
Drop-In Use Only
Is every family eligible for indexed tuition?
Every family is eligible to apply for indexed tuition. Families who are able to pay the full tuition amount can opt out of the application process if they choose.
Who decides what our family's tuition discount will be?
The Indexed Tuition Committee is comprised of PNA administrators and is chaired by the Head of School. To ensure privacy, your information and the decision of the Committee is strictly confidential, and is not shared with PNA faculty or trustees.
To help us objectively assess what a family is able to contribute to education expenses, PNA uses FAST, a trusted third party tuition discount software. Parents submit a Parent Financial Statement (PFS) to FAST online. We use the FAST figures as the baseline for our indexed tuition determinations, taking into consideration individual family dynamics and resources available for returning students as well as applicant families.
What factors can influence indexed tuition?
The required information and forms being submitted in a timely manner and the number of families applying for discounts in a given year.
How does Indexed Tuition work for current families?
Indexed tuition decisions are reviewed each year, and families receiving discounts submit a new application and income tax statement each year through FAST to establish the affordable amount for the next academic year. We are committed to supporting families throughout their student's years at PNA when we offer a discounted tuition.
Does PNA offer any other discounts or scholarships?
Yes! We have an Active Duty Military Appreciation Scholarship and multi-student discounts.
US MILITARY/UNIFORMED SERVICES APPRECIATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
PNA's Board of Trustees would like to offer exceptional students in military families improved access to an independent education. The PNA US Military/Uniformed Services Appreciation Scholarship Program for children in 3rd through 8th grade of active duty personnel provides scholarships covering half of the school’s annual tuition, annually.
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be eligible for the US Military/Uniformed Services Scholarship Program, the applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Grade level – Entering 3rd through 8th grade in the fall of 2017.
- Academic Record – Have a minimum 3.0 grade point average and/or perform at or above the 80th percentile in one or more subjects on a nationally-normed standardized achievement test.
- Location – Reside in Anchorage, Alaska or a surrounding community.
- Military/Uniformed Services Status – Must be in DEERS as an active duty dependent.
- Submit the official score report from the applicant’s most recent state standardized test.
- For applicants in 3rd through 5th grade: Submit one teacher recommendation, copies of report cards for the last two years, and a one-paragraph essay about why they want to attend Pacific Northern Academy.
- For applicants in 6th through 8th grade: Submit one teacher recommendation, one community leader recommendation (this can be a coach, a church leader, a non-profit manager your child has volunteered for), copies of report cards for the last two years, a copy of their most standardized test report, and a three-paragraph essay about why they want to attend Pacific Northern Academy.
- Submit a list of volunteer and community service activities/organizations in which the applicant is involved.
- Present child’s DEERS card to school at time of application.
- Awardees will apply yearly to maintain their scholarship status.
- High academic ability and achievement: Strong academic record, academic awards and honors, and substantive assessments by educators providing confidential recommendations. We consider grades, achievement test scores, participation in available honors or advanced courses, commitment to learning, and work ethic.
- Desire to help others: Purposeful and meaningful commitment to others which may be evidenced by participation in volunteer/community service activities.
MULTI STUDENT DISCOUNT
For families who have more than one child enrolled at PNA and who pay the full tuition amount, we offer a percentage off each additional tuition. Discounts are applied as follows:
First child: Full tuition
Second child: 5% discount off full tuition
Third child: 10% discount off full tuition
Fourth + child: 15% discount off full tuition
General School Fees and Potential Costs
Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee of $75 is required with all new student applications.
Tuition Deposit: A non-refundable tuition deposit is due at the time of enrollment/re-enrollment. This deposit will be applied toward the student’s tuition according to the payment plan chosen.
School Dress Code: Students are required to wear clothing in compliance with PNA’s School Dress Code policy. Clothing is purchased by the family at the store of their choice.
School Supplies: General school supplies are purchased by PNA and the cost is included in the tuition.
Pizza Day: Students have the option to enroll in a weekly pizza lunch. The yearly cost is $100 for one slice and $150 for two slices.
Milk: is available at lunch for no charge.
iPads: Students in 7th and 8th grade are required to have iPads purchased by the family.