Job Classification: Temporary, full time; no more than 40 hours per week
Hours: Varies (6-8 hrs shifts scheduled between 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., M-F)
Compensation: $18+, DOE
This position is responsible for developing and teaching outdoor ed camp activities for students in Grades K-6 each day. Camp Instructors also may lead morning meetings and closing circles and or surprive students during lunch and/or recess.
Essential Job Functions:
The Outdoor Ed Instructor is responsible for developing and presenting innovative and engaging lessons as well as providing active supervision and care to students during the camp day.
- Developing and leading fun and engaging learning experiences such as nature walks, cooperative games, geocaching, orienteering, low ropes initiatives, outdoor skills, etc.
- Inspiring curiosity about our natural world through inquisitive discovery based activities in our natural surroundings
- Facilitating activities designed to focus on teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development
- Communicating effectively with all staff, parents, and children
- Supporting the social-emotional development of the students
- Actively supervising and engaging with students during choice time, outdoor play, games, etc.
- Maintaining the safety and wellbeing of the students at all times
- Completing necessary documentation
This position reports directly to the Camp Director, but may work independently, and as a team, with camp assistants, or other instructors.
Tools and material related to outdoor education, slacklines, map & compass, GPS, bear spray, miscellaneous sports equipment.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of of Alaskan flora, fauna and animal safety
- Demonstrate genuine concern, kindness, and respect to all staff, parents and children
- Display a high level of integrity and responsibility
- Teach youth in a respectful manner
- Empower youth to make positive choices
- Apply firm, yet fair discipline
- Be a self-starter, able to work independently as well as effectively contribute as part of a team
Bachelor’s degree in education or education related field or specialized discipline (for example: art, music, language, outdoor education) preferred or
4 years experience working with children in an educational setting, or
a combination of education and experience equal to 4 years
Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
Clean background check
Adult/Pediatric First Aid/ CPR certified
WFA or WFR certification preferred
Physical Aspects of the Job:
Work environment is typical of a school and art studio environment however this position involves daily exposure to weather elements. Candidates must possess adequate vision, hearing acuity, physical ability, strength, and stamina to perform the required responsibilities of activities associated with supervision and program delivery; ability to lift 35 pounds.